HISTORY and MISSION
On May 7, 2002 the Hickory International Council was established by the Hickory Mayor and City Council to serve as a forum for the international community in Hickory and to advise the City Council regarding ways to improve Hickory as an international city that welcomes and values international visitors, residents and businesses. Resolution document No. 02-24 outlines the purpose, duties and membership requirements of Council members. To read the complete document click here .
• To recommend to the City Council steps, processes, programs or procedures which will improve communication and foster positive interaction between the international community and municipal government.
• To make Hickory better known as an international city and a city friendly to international visitors, businesses and residents.
• To recommend actions to improve cultural understanding and tolerance within the community.
• To work with the educational system, the City of Hickory and other organizations to promote the understanding of the international communities within Hickory and to teach the interconnectedness of the world today.
• To promote both international investment in Hickory and the expansion of local businesses through exports and investment abroad.
• To make studies of conditions that affect the international community within the City.
The HIC meets the third Thursday of each month from 5:30 PM – 6:30 PM in the Moretz Board Room in the Arts & Science Building, 375 3rd Street NE. The public is invited to attend.
MEMBERSHIP and APPOINTMENT
The HIC is composed of ten (10) to twenty (20) members, nominated by the Chair or the Mayor with the concurrence of the City Council. The members comprise a broad cross-section of the community with international ties. If you are interested in serving on the HIC, please complete a Board and Commission Membership Application. All appointments are made by the Hickory City Council.
For more information, contact Hani Nassar, Chair, Hickory International Council email@example.com or 828.326.0256 or any other member of the board: Dr. Marion Love (Vice-Chair) firstname.lastname@example.org, Marc Swinnen email@example.com, Jack Crawford firstname.lastname@example.org, Becky Mitch email@example.com, Dr. Toshiaki Satake ToshiakiSatake@USConec.com, Dr. Ken Humphreys firstname.lastname@example.org, Karl Wolfe email@example.com, Gretchen Oetting firstname.lastname@example.org, Ira Roberts email@example.com, Joe Getlein W1FAI@yahoo.com, Claire McCrea firstname.lastname@example.org, Bella Fields email@example.com, Justin Davis firstname.lastname@example.org, and Aaron Kohrs email@example.com.